Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Oh Hey Kofi !


Home Sweet Home

It has been an interesting journey thus far. Although sickness has overtaken my energy the past few days, I'm not letting it completely drain me. It is just a matter of getting acclimated to the food, climate, ect. I have been doing lots of contemplation, reading, and relaxing the past few days. Besides those three, I have been doing some exploration. Some of this includes parts of Accra, such as the hectic Makola Market, and the fascinating encounter with KOFI ANNAN....i mean only the past UN Secratary General, no big deal. Appartnely he is the Chancellor of my University now? Who knew...

Kofi Annan at the Kwame Nkruma Memorial Center


TroTros (the cheapest means of transporting from point A to B) have been such an adventure. It takes more than an hour of TroTro/Walking to get to my internship sight. It is located in a pretty rural area, but not too far from the hustle and bustle of the large market in the area called Medina. 

Classes began this Monday. I am taking Twi Language (a dialect of the Akan Language--tonal, fun, and difficult), Development Studies (with the Internship), International Conflict, Resolution, and Human Rights, Social Psychology, and Community Entry Techniques in Social Work. Have had most of these in the first half of the week- so far so good :)


Makola Market - Downtown Accra
Seeing the different neighborhoods of Accra was quite shocking. There were very large houses in some areas and grappling poverty in others. Reminds me of the huge gap between rich and poor we have in our own country. A conversation with a Ghanian friend the other day really inspired me. She reminded me that we do not choose where we are born. No matter what, we must make circumstances work and just go with it. It is amazing how much we learn through conversation and connections. Only a short time I have been here and I could write a novel, therefore I will leave this post with a quote by MLK Jr. that sums up some recent thoughts of mine:



"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."



No comments:

Post a Comment