Monday, August 8, 2011

Akwaaba!

Officially moved into the International Hostel located outside of Accra, Ghana in the town of Legon. Walking the chili pepper-smelling streets has been an adventure thus far. I have met some amazing people through the organization I am studying through, and those are mostly all Americans. We are now on campus with people from all over the world. Orientation has taken up most of my time, but some exploration of mostly the University has happened. Ghanian Hiplife music is the most popular music according to the locals I've spoken to. The live bands have been awesome and so much fun! At one bar, a woman made an announcement for no bone-to-bone or flesh-to-flesh dancing...major cultural difference among many. Homosexuality in this religious society is unheard of, but is becoming more exposed through the media. 

The University of Ghana has somewhere between 30 and 40, 000 students (quite the change from Champlain College).  The campus is filled with dirt paths, spanish style architecture, and beautiful trees and plants. Of course, water runs out sometimes, so buckets are a must...but such is life! Life here is simple yet lively. I found out my internship is at a place called Echoing Hills, an NGO that works with mental disabled children, youth, and adults. I am really excited to begin classes (too many amazing ones to choose from) and work. 

Have yet to become proposed to but an "I love you" was spoken. The reason why I mention this is because every semester, just in my study abroad program at least a few girls come back engaged or married to Ghanian men. The first program in 1993 there were twenty students, and a whopping ten came back with a ring on the finger...perhaps I am the next? Jokes, jokes....

There is currently a Ghanian dance party going on in the cafe...maybe I'll join....
 
Tata!

No comments:

Post a Comment