Friday, August 26, 2011

Conversations

The more I think about it, the harder it is to "update" this blog. In general, updating on my life currently is damn near impossible. Ghana is great, and life is good. As for specifics, I would not be doing this place and its people any justice by attempting to write a few paragraphs about these things I've been experiencing. I'll try my best to keep it simple yet informative:

I began my internship at a different place because of some circumstances. I am now at the Hope Community Chapel, which is an orphanage located in the town of Hacho. The children are amazing and brilliant individuals with infinite amounts of potential for greatness. A friend of mine now, who has lived in the orphanage for many years, takes care of the library and other facilities. I had one of the most inspirational conversations with him. I told him that I am quoting him on everything and compiling a book. Practically he gave me a sermon on his ideals, life struggles and successions, values, and beliefs. We exchanged great conversation that has stuck with me since. 

Many wonder, so what is Jess doing for fun in Ghana? Well, when I have free time here I have spent it getting to know some amazing people. Of course this is aside from travel, exploration, work, class,  and studying. I have been cooking, which has become a great way to fill hours of free time and relax, also a great way to finally eat some hearty vegetables! Yes, I could be hitting the club scene and all sorts of craziness, but in fact I would rather spend my time learning about others and learning from people through one word, conversation. Human existence thrives off connecting and learning from others' past, present, and future. How do we learn if all we do is constantly feel the need to entertain ourselves? I believe "entertainment" is able to come from enjoying other people's company, enjoying music, laughter, and exchanging stories. 

I urge people to take advantage of the fact that we as humans are trained to have lasting connections, whether with humans or nature. With that said, put yourself out there in a way that you feel vulnerable. 

Take a risk, do something you would never imagine yourself doing, and step out of that bubble, because the world is a magnificent place with fascinating people all around, who are surprisingly just like you. 

I will end this post with a quote from the brilliant Albert Einstein:
"Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: That we are here for the sake of others...for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. Many times a day, I realize how much my outer and inner life is built upon the labors of people, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received."
 

1 comment:

  1. i'm so happy for you! you are taking advantage of everything, you are doing what most only can dream about. combine brains, confidence, a desired to explore and you embody a form of social success at a level so high that there isn't a term. i'm proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete