Saturday, December 24, 2011

Back in the USSA

Thanksgiving 2011 with my Tanzania Family
Day four at home in Massachusetts. Where has time gone? I feel like I have been in a bubble, where time has stood still at home. In fact, time went on, but I felt like things were the same as I left them. Maybe because of my experience with reverse culture shock with Tanzania earlier this year, I am more prepared to see the positives of home life.

Traveling does this strange thing. We are forced to be vulnerable. We feel uncomfortable, anxious, uneasy, scared, excited, thrilled, and confused at some point. Then, we reflect, endlessly. That is key, reflection that is. When you come home, your reflections are put into perspective and you really get it. You understand what this experience has done to you. Don't get me wrong, I could not pinpoint certain aspects of myself that have changed or grown, but I definitely have changed for the better in the last five months.
Lake Volta

Thank you to the beautiful friends that have shared pieces of their souls with me, may all of you be a part of me as I keep growing. 

For anyone considering studying abroad, or traveling at all, do it... you will never regret it. It will test you like you wouldn't believe. You will learn so much about humans, interactions, yourself, and most importantly, what is really important in life to you personally, which is a fundamental value that everybody should be aware of. 

Last day at the Orphanage in Haatso


Everyplace, even those that seem the dreariest, have positive aspects to them. Appreciate these aspects, for they will bring you happiness. 



1 comment:

  1. You've got it all right Jess! I'm so happy for you. There is never an end, only endless beginings :)

    ReplyDelete